Monday 3 November 2014

Into The Woods Research

Into The Woods is set in a fairytale land which is traditionally thought of as in a medieval time period. This means the females should wear long dresses and the men puffy sleeves, tights and boots. Here are some examples of medieval clothing.

 


I have chosen to design costumes for the Witch, the Ugly Sisters and Rapunzel.I think each character's costume needs to reflect their personality and look similar to how we would imagine the traditional character so that it is easy for the audience to recognize who everyone is. 

The Witch is an old hag so her costume and make up need to show this. After some research I have seen a lot of Witch costumes with a fake chin and nose like this:



I think this is too much and looks too stereotypical. I don't think we should use this look in our production. Instead she should have a big curly  wig with some braids in it and lots of leaves and dead looking flowers weaved into it. I think she should have the leaves because she loves her garden and is into making potions. Her wig could look something like this:



During my research I found that a lot of costumes were either very glamorous etc:

  

or very scary and ugly:

 

I am not particularly keen on either and I think we should instead go for somewhere in the middle. I think her costume should have a colour scheme of green, brown, red, black and purple (similar to the ugly witch in the pictures). Black and red are often associated with danger and evil so show that she is a bad character whilst the brown purple and green goes with her love of potions and plants. 

Here are my initial ideas:  




No comments:

Post a Comment