Monday 1 December 2014

Ugly Sisters Into The Woods Research


I have decided to design costumes for the Ugly Sisters. In my research I have found that a lot of already existing costumes use the same style dress but in a different colour:

 




In all three of these pictures, the dresses are either purple, yellow or red/pink. I think the designers have chosen these colours as they are bright and vulgar to reflect the fact that the sisters are supposed to be ugly. I am going to use the colours purple and yellow.

Most of the dresses I found in my research had overly puffy sleeves, tight waists and then long puffed out skirts with a petticoat underneath. I really like this design but it looks a bit more Victorian than Medieval which is when I have set my version of this production. 




Here is a picture of Ugly Sisters costumes that look more appropriate to medieval times. They still have quite puffy sleeves and skirts but they are both longer. Their costumes feature a lot more gold and embroidery. Gold is a symbol of wealth which is why I think the designer chose this colour. 




No comments:

Post a Comment