Friday 16 January 2015

Script - The meeting

It is 1954 and Joy and Bet are standing outside a dance club giggling as they are about to enter. They are both 17 and met on their holidays to Ford. Bet is tall with blonde hair and a blue dress. Joy is shorter at about 5"1 with very dark brown curly hair and big blue eyes. They are both very pretty. 

Joy: I'm a bit nervous!

Bet: Oh come on Joycee it will tremendous fun! I've even heard that there's a navy base around here, we might meet some nice sailor boys!

Joy: You really think they would be interested in us?

Bet: Why ever not? Now come along we can't stay out here all night!

Bet takes Joy's hand and they walk into the dance club. 


The sailors are in the pub. Peter and Roy are having a chat. 

Roy: *shows Pete a picture* that's my girl. Julie her name is. Beautiful she is! Beautiful! Met her down in Brighton I did. Soon as I saw her I just knew, just knew she was going to be my girl! 

Peter: That girl's blonde?

Roy: Yeah?

Peter: Well that girl I saw you with last night had red hair. 

Roy: Oh shut up Crampton! No girl in your life then I see?

Peter: nah. I don't want one either. Complicates things! I just want a simple life!

Roy: *laughs*

Peter: What's wrong with that?

Roy: You don't get a choice in these things, Crampers! They just happen. One minute you're fine and the next a girl looks at you with her big blue eyes and that's it. Yer heart jumps and ya fall in love!

Peter: Alright you soft git! I'm getting bored in here fancy going to the dance hall?

Roy: Yeah sounds good to me! I'll find you a girl!

Peter: Shut it, Roy! 

The two sailors promptly leave the pub and make their way to the dance hall. 

Inside the hall Bet and Joy are sitting on the bench looking fed up.

Joy: Well this is rubbish!

Bet: Awful just awful. Worst dance I've ever been to. 

Joy: It's just so boring!

Bet: and no good looking boys either!

Joy: You promised me sailors

Bet: I did not promise you I was simply telling you what I had heard from my sources.

Joy: Maybe you need to get better sources then! Want to go back?

Bet: Yes I think we ought to. It's starting to get rather late anyway. 

The girls get up to leave when Peter and Roy walk into the hall in their full navy uniform. The girls stare at them.

Bet: Well maybe we could stay for one more song...

Joy: Yes, yes one more song won't hurt! 

They both giggle excitedly as the boys walk over to them

Roy: Good evening ladies! Looks at Bet Well hello little missy, what's your name then?

Bet: Suddenly shy and blushing It's Bet

Roy: Well, Bet, fancy a dance? Bet smiles at him as he takes her by the hand over to the dancefloor. Joy and Peter look at each other sheepishly. 

Peter: um...hi. 

Joy: Hello

Peter: He always does this to me. gesturing towards Roy. Leaving me as soon as a pretty girl comes along! ha!

Joy: Oh right

Peter: Oh not that er! Not that you're not pretty! I just meant err..well y'know

Joy: Laughs to herself

Peter: Yeah...Peter.

Joy: What?

Peter: Peter! My name! um...my name is Peter. 

Joy: Oh okay. I'm Joy, how do you do? She puts her hand out for a handshake

Peter: Shakes her hand Well, Joy. I guess I should ask you for a dance really. 

Joy: Yes I guess you should! 

They go to the dancefloor and dance to the song. As the dance goes on they get closer and closer, staring at each other. They don't even notice when Bet and Roy stop dancing. 

Bet: Joy. Joy!

Joy: Suddenly aware of what's going on Oh! 

Bet: We are going for a walk along the beach, do you fancy joining us. 

Joy: Looks at Peter. Um yes if you want to Peter do you want to come to the beach with us?

Peter: Um yes okay.

The group make to leave, girls in front boys behind. Roy nudges Peter and looks towards Joy.

Roy: Now what did I tell ya! 

Peter: Shut it, Roy! It's nothing


Roy: Didn't look like nothin to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment